Gardening is something you learn by doing---and by making mistakes....
Like Cooking, Gardening is a constant process of experimentation, repeating the successes and throwing out the failures.
Carol Stocker

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Pickled Spiced Beets

Love those beets!  I have 2 recipes for pickled beets, spiced and not spiced.  I grew up on the non-spiced kind and just found a new like for the spiced beets.
I was feeling ambitious so I dug my beets as well as my Dad's.  What a harvest! After pickling all those beets I don't care if I see another beet until next year's harvest!
Here are the recipes I used.





Spiced Pickled Beets

Makes 6 pints (7 if you are a good packer)

2 Cups Sugar
2 Cinnamon Sticks
1 TBS Pickling Seasoning (put in cheesecloth..I use a tea steeper)
1 1/2 Tsp Salt (I use canning salt)
3 1/2 Cups Vinegar (I use distilled)
1 1/2 Cups Water

Trim Beet stem to 2 inches,  Cover beets with water in a large saucepot; bring to a boil and cook until fork tender.
Drain. Peel and trim beets.
In a saucepan combine the above ingredients.  Bring to a boil then let simmer for 15 minutes.
When done remove Pickling Spice and Cinnamon sticks.
Slice beets to desired sizes, pack beets into hot sterilized jars.
Ladle hot brine over beets, leaving 1/2 inch head space.
Remove air bubbles and wipe the rims.
Place prepared hot lid onto jar and finger tighten the ring.
Process 15 minutes in boiling-water canner. (depending on your altitude)

Take out of canner and anxiously await the 'pop'.


Our Traditional Recipe
4 Cups Vinegar ( I used distilled)
1 Cup Water
1 Cup Sugar (I used 3/4 cup)
1 Bay Leaf per pint.....2 for a quart jar

Follow them same instructions as above.

CANNING GUIDE    Click here for more canning instructions

Cut tops and wash beets
Boil beets till fork tender








 
Remove skin and trim the beets
Cook brine
Fill hot jars with cut beets









Lower jars into water canner

Pour brine over beets, 1/2 inch head space

No comments:

Post a Comment

Farming

Farming
Cutting Silage at Berry Creek